Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Hand Drawn Poppy

Hand drawn and watercolored poppues

Last night, I doodled this poppy and bud while talking on the phone.  The doodle turned out nice, so I decided to color it with my Zig watercolor markers.  The worst that could happen was that I messed it up so, if nothing else, it would be good practice.  In the end, I was happy with the results! 


After I colored the flower, bud, & stems, I thought it looked a bit bare and needed a leaf.  Well! Instead of looking at some poppy stamps that I have to verify what the leaves actually look like, I decided to cut a stencil using a Heartfelt Creations leaf die.  Rather than of tracing inside the negative space of the stencil, I traced around the actual die cut so the leaf ended up being too fat.  Then, when I colored it with the Zig markers, it got worse!  Oh well, practice makes perfect!   Once the leaf was semi-acceptable, I decided  to stop messing with it! 

I used a black charcoal pencil to draw a line around the image then smeared it a bit with my finger to give the image some depth. After erasing away some of the extra smudges, I sprayed the whole piece lightly with hair spray to set the colors.

After the hair spray was dry, I used my MISTI stamp positioner for the sentiment.  It’s a good thing I did because I had to stamp the sentiment twice to get a good impression.  I then went over it with a clear glitter pen to give it a bit of sparkle.

No comments: