Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Painted Birds





During my lunch break at work yesterday, I doodled a couple of birds on a piece of scrap paper.  They turned out pretty cute so I decided I was going to duplicate them.

This card started out with a piece of dampened water color and some blue distress paint splattered down.  The paint didn’t move enough for my liking, so I added some green gold paint, spread with my paintbrush and spritzed it with more water.  Sometimes I don’t know when to stop, and this was one of those times!  The colors started getting muddy, so I attempted to fix them by laying a wonky circle stencil on the wet paint and removing some paint with a baby wipe.  I didn’t get the effect I was looking for so I decided it was fine the way it was.

After the paint was dry (heat guns are wonderful tools to speed up the process!), I drew the birds with a #2 pencil. Once I was happy with the shapes, I primed them by painting inside the shapes with white paint. Then came the fun of playing with paint colors!  I used red craft paint for the darker areas of the bodies, and mixed the same red paint with flesh colored craft paint for the lighter areas. I used burnt umber acrylic paint mixed with some of the red craft paint for wings. 


The sentiment is a thinlit die from Stampin’ Up.  I cut that out of white cardstock & glued it down. I then traced around the sentiment and the birds with a black stabilo pencil. I used a clear glitter pen as the finishing touch on the sentiment.

The card size is A2  (5-1/2" x 4-1/4").  The size of the painted image is 4" x 5-1/4" and it is layered onto a piece of  black cardstock measuring 4-1/8" x 5-3/8"

No comments: