Thursday, November 27, 2014

October-November Challenge Entry

























This is my entry into Tracy Weinzapfel's October / November Challenge.  The deadline to enter is Sunday, Nov 30th.  The challenge was to CASE any of Tracy's paintings from a Mixed Media Monday video.   I chose to CASE this one from October 15, 2014.

I used a baby wipe to slap down three different colors of acrylic paint for the background.  Then I drew / painted the flower and leaves with a primer coat of white gesso. After the gesso dried, I mixed a couple shades of yellows in a puddle on my paint palette and bright shades of orange and red in another puddle.  The center was painted first with the red/orange, and then the petals were painted with a bottom layer of yellows. I added streaks of the red orange for shading.  The leaves were painted with a mixture of green acrylic paints.  The lighter color in the petals was done with a white Sharpie paint pen.  I laid down a lot of the paint, then used the tip of the pen to move it around. As it dried, it picked up the color from the paint underneath.  


This was done in a little over an hour, including drying time. I used my heat gun to dry the paint.